So here is that all important question…
Do you really want to retire in Cuenca, Ecuador?
Don’t Believe Everything You Hear About Cuenca Ecuador….
- It will cost at least $1000 a month to live in Ecuador (You cannot live on $600 per month). When I say live, I mean more than just exist. Living means seeing a show now and then, eating out once in a while, living in a place that has walls and a roof. Having internet access and satellite TV. Maybe hot water for your morning shower would be nice. Rents and real estate prices are going up. Be aware of these things. Arriving with not enough money will turn your dream into a real nightmare.
- You really need to speak a little Spanish in order to relate to the locals. Learn how to order food and how to ask directions. Take a class for goodness sake.
- The residency Visa process is not a piece of cake. It will be tedious and frustrating. Get help if you need it.
- Learn about the local culture and respect the local culture. Don’t expect to find some little USA when you move here. This is Ecuador.
- Calm down, slow down, and quiet down….. Do not bring that ego and “better than everyone else attitude” with you. Arrogance is a very unattractive trait. You will be a guest in this country, so try to act that way.
- Rent for the first year. Ecuador is a big country. There are beautiful coastal towns like Manta (pictured below) and beautiful mountain communities like Quito or Cuenca Ecuador. Do not buy property right away. Slow down. Look at everything first. Get a feel for this place.
- If you think that those International Magazines you are reading are telling you the whole truth, think again. A lot of them are selling seminars, books, and real estate. Get your info from more than just one or two sources. Read local blogs and get in touch with some of the local groups on Facebook. Talk to people who are living in Ecuador. Be careful.
- You must visit before you move to Ecuador. If you cannot afford to visit Ecuador then you cannot afford to live in Ecuador.
- You have choices. Ecuador is not the be all end all place. There are a lot of great places in the world to live. Keep your mind open.